Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sneakers, Juice and Me

OKAY.... Here we go again.  :)

So during the last part of February 2014, I decided that since I was on the healing end of my ankle, and my Armour was working like a dream, it was time to take that giant step in the right direction, with regards to my diet.  I was vegetarian when I was little, through my teens.  I went back to normal eating during my 16 year marriage to my first husband. Then near the end of our marriage, I went back to flextiarian.  I just hate red meat.  I still do.  But I won't go into that.  So for the past few years, I have maintained my flexitarian lifestyle.  Mostly veggies and fruits, but also very little meat.  Chicken was my primary source of protein, and a little fish as well.

Well when March 1 rolled around I went completely vegetarian.  I decided that was the best thing for me, and honestly I didn't mind it.  I started feeling better right away.  I was incorporating quinoa, beans, lentils, legumes, etc.  for my protein, instead of chicken and fish.  I could tell I was feeling better day by day, with more energy.

I watched my hubby and others follow the "Eat to Live" program.  Hubby lost 30 lbs in no time and has kept it off completely!!!  After a lot of research and talking, on March 13, I became Vegan.  I am going to follow the Eat to Live program by Dr. Mark Fuhrman, AS WELL as incorporate gluten free living.  Is it going to be easy?  Not at all.  I LOVE pasta, bread, fish, cookies, crackers, etc............... but am I determined?  Absolutely!!!  I want to be healthy!!!  So no more gluten, no more dairy, no more eggs, and no more meat!!!

I was talking with a friend and she recommended that I watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix.  WHOA, the changes people made and how it made them feel was incredible!  What an inspiring show!  It was also by Dr. Fuhrman.  I was inspired to start juicing.  But I had to take a day or two to research it and talk some more to my friend about it.  In the meantime I watched the gurilla type show, called "Vegucated".  I almost lost my lunch on that one.  VERY hard to watch, especially for someone like me who is already against red meat and converting back to vegetarian.  It follows 4 meat eating people, who convert to vegan for a week.  What a story.  Oh my.  I have also watched Hungry 4 Change, which too talks about juicing.  I am ready for the change!!!  It is wonderful just how many great shows are on Netflix that will help you with whatever lifestyle you would like to have.

March 20, I decided that it was time to catch up with my runs.  I went out and did 7.10 miles.  Wow that was hard.  I need to not let time go in between runs, so long like that.  Going to do 8 miles on Sunday since I am traveling on Saturday.

Hmm lets step aside for the moment, and talk about running shoes.  I have been through quite the battle.  In 2013, I was running in Saucony Hurricane 15's for the whole year.  I loved them.  But my feet didn't.. not for long runs, as I mentioned my toes falling asleep during my 15K in November.  Fast forward to January 2014, I bought my first pair of Brooks, because they have a "wider toe box".  I did my 10K on the 11th of January with them and I thought I did well in them... but when I took them into my 2nd podiatrist, she said they just weren't wide enough, and to get a womens wide.  So I went back to the store and bought a pair of Brooks Adrenalines in Mens EE!!  The kid in the store said, why not go wider, so I did.  Well when I ran the 7.10 miles the other day in them, I ended up with a blister on the ball of my left foot.  I called the shoe store and they said oh no, those are TOO wide for you.  So you need to come in and we will put you in a womens wide.  So I did.  I will be running in Brooks GTS Adrenaline's Women's wide on Sunda for my 8 mile long run.  I hope that makes a difference.  :)

On March 22,  I had a green smoothie in the morning, a salad and steamed veggies for lunch (remember I was traveling) and then I had a juiced "green drink" in the evening (photo below), along with one mango because I found out I can't juice those.  Ick too much lemon in my juiced drink.  Note to self, never use a lemon the size of a softball in one jug of green drink lolol  It was fun shopping for all the greens I could find.  I spent 37 dollars and I have more than enough for several days of juicing.  I can't even begin to list everything that I have in my fridge now.  It feels like a garden in there.  Speaking of which, I am starting my garden soon, again this year, and will be planting more "juicing friendly" produce, than I have in past years.  I can't wait to have truly fresh organic greens in my own back yard!!!



I spent the night talking with my friend (who is starting juicing on Monday, so we can do it together!!!) and researching a little more.  I will be taking on full time juicing, starting in the morning.  and I will be taking in about 16 ounces of juice for 3 meals a day, and 8 ounces for my "two snacks" one between breakfast and lunch, and one between lunch and dinner.  I am expecting to get very hungry.  And I know day 3 will be rough, from what everyone is saying (as my body detoxes).  But I am going to try to go one full week and see how it feels.

OH and heres the best news:

From March 1 to March 10, just from going vegetarian (no other changes) I lost 1.5 lbs.
From March 10 to March 15, I lost 5.6 lbs, from going vegan AND gluten free!!!
From March 15 to March 22, I lost another 3.6 lbs, according to my morning weigh in!

That is 10.7 lbs since the beginning of March!!!

Can't wait until tomorrow's sneak weigh in, since that will be my first day with only a salad and a few steamed veggies and a mango... the rest smoothie and juicing.  :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment